baby

Oh, Those Crazy Pregnancy Cravings

8/24/2015

This being my first pregnancy, I have a whole new world of changes, cravings and emotions to discover while my sweet baby is getting ready to join us on this beautiful earth. There are a lot of crazy emotions I am having at this time and also a lot of weird stuff I am craving. Well, not so weird to me right now but I have heard some women get even crazier cravings. It is all fun to read about so I decided to write something about cravings during pregnancy.

There are a few things that have changed with my choice of food since I got pregnant. I love food, I always have and I mostly enjoy eating all kinds of cooking. I may prefer some cuisine over others, but I am a true gourmet when it comes to food. I will also happily try out new foods (if they are not as weird as fried insects or anything similar). Lately I have been craving lots of sour foods, such as lemons, grapefruits, lime juice, sour candy. I have never loved sour food as much as I do now. My boyfriend used to eat sour food a lot, but I think now I am loving it much more than he does. Something I cannot get enough of are nectarines, melons and lemon yogurt - how about that. I have always liked fruits, but not to this extend. I could eat them all day long, but I know I have to eat diverse foods for my baby's health. These cravings are not so weird, am I right? I do love to mix food - I would eat pasta, then get a piece of fruit and even something sweet for dessert. Or a bread with ham and another one with butter and jam with a glass of milk to go with just because I can. At least I am not getting crazy with food servings, I have gained like two pounds in four months of my pregnancy. It is completely fine, my doctor says. I have hated coffee for a while there (it made me feel sick) but now I can eat and drink almost everything without getting sick. I am not having alcohol or anything that could hurt my baby, off course. I mostly drink water, but I sometimes fantasise about cold carbonated sweet drinks like Coca Cola, Pepsi, Sprite, 7up, Orangina Tangerine - you get the picture :) These are my cravings for now.
As a first time mom I have heard about a lot of weird cravings pregnant women have and I have researched a lot of different ones just because of curiosity. Some doctors say that pregnant women tend to crave something that has the highest amount of the stuff they are lacking with something they can tolerate eating. Seems logical, right? But this is not scientifically proven or anything. I decided to share a few common cravings and a few weird ones with you, just for fun.

Common Cravings

Pickles

Along with olives and potato chips pickles are a typical pregnancy craving, because increased blood volume raises woman´s need for sodium. So there is logic behind pregnancy craving, I guess.

Chocolate

This craving is attributed by increased need for calories, some say. If you crave chocolate, choose dark chocolate, the healthier version.

Eggs

You might crave eggs because they are great source of protein. 

Fruit

Some think this craving is the body's way to get in the Vitamin C and other vitamins you need during pregnancy. It is a good craving to have, but keep it under control, because of high amounts of sugar.

Ice Cream 

Milk products (this also counts for cheese and yogurt) are a common pregnancy craving mostly because of the high calcium content. If you ice cream intake gets a little crazy, try switching it out with frozen yogurt.

Lemons

Sour foods are also a common craving among pregnant women. Some say it is because the body is trying to get a more varied diet (this one is not very convincing to me but still interesting).

Weird Cravings

Some women experience a phenomenon called pica - which is a psychological eating disorder, when people desire to eat non food items. Studies show that 20 % of pregnant women go trough this - interesting, huh? I mean, this is a high percentage. Some of these desires are related to iron deficiencies in pregnant women, so if you get this cravings, talk to your doctor about it. 

Clay
Dirt
Chalk
Laundry Soap
Ice
Sponges

Some women say that is is not about the taste, but more about the texture of these items. 

Supposed Celebrity Cravings

I have no idea if these are true, but I read them somewhere and I am sharing them with you just for fun.

  • Gwen Stefani - Tabasco (I love Tabasco!).
  • Hilary Duff - Rice Krispy Treats, Red Hots Candy, chocolate covered pretzels and pickles (yummy and yummy)
  • Kate Middleton - vegetarian curry (never ate that in my life)
  • Jennifer Garner - cookies and cheese puffs (yummy).
  • Tina Fey - Entenmann´s chocolate doughnuts (I love doughnuts)
  • Jenna Fisher -mac and cheese and Lucky Charms (we do not eat mac and cheese a lot. Like once a year maybe. But yummy.)
  • Jessica Alba - watermelon (yummy again - it seems like I just love every single kind of food in the world right now?!)
  • Carrie Underwood - Pop Tarts (yummy again - maybe I should stop commenting..)
  • Blake Lively - pickles and ice cream (it would be a very dull and common craving if it is wasn't a organic hand-churned pumpkin-flavoured ice cream and small-batch pickles.) 
  • Mila Kunis - sauerkraut (oh, I love that too - but I rather eat sauerkraut soup).
  • Pink - Sour Skittles, Sour Patch Kids, anything sour (yummy).

I am curious - what are or were your cravings during your pregnancy? Did you crave something common or something weird? I would love to hear about it in comments bellow :)

Have a great day!


M.

You Might Also Like

0 komentarji