Oh, Those Crazy Pregnancy Cravings8/24/2015
This being my first pregnancy, I have a whole new world of changes,
cravings and emotions to discover while my sweet baby is getting ready
to join us on this beautiful earth. There are a lot of crazy emotions I
am having at this time and also a lot of weird stuff I am craving. Well,
not so weird to me right now but I have heard some women get even
crazier cravings. It is all fun to read about so I decided to write
something about cravings during pregnancy.
PicklesAlong with olives and potato chips pickles are a typical pregnancy craving, because increased blood volume raises woman´s need for sodium. So there is logic behind pregnancy craving, I guess.
ChocolateThis craving is attributed by increased need for calories, some say. If you crave chocolate, choose dark chocolate, the healthier version.
EggsYou might crave eggs because they are great source of protein.
FruitSome think this craving is the body's way to get in the Vitamin C and other vitamins you need during pregnancy. It is a good craving to have, but keep it under control, because of high amounts of sugar.
Ice CreamMilk products (this also counts for cheese and yogurt) are a common pregnancy craving mostly because of the high calcium content. If you ice cream intake gets a little crazy, try switching it out with frozen yogurt.
LemonsSour foods are also a common craving among pregnant women. Some say it is because the body is trying to get a more varied diet (this one is not very convincing to me but still interesting).
Weird CravingsSome women experience a phenomenon called pica - which is a psychological eating disorder, when people desire to eat non food items. Studies show that 20 % of pregnant women go trough this - interesting, huh? I mean, this is a high percentage. Some of these desires are related to iron deficiencies in pregnant women, so if you get this cravings, talk to your doctor about it.
Some women say that is is not about the taste, but more about the texture of these items.
Supposed Celebrity CravingsI have no idea if these are true, but I read them somewhere and I am sharing them with you just for fun.
- Gwen Stefani - Tabasco (I love Tabasco!).
- Hilary Duff - Rice Krispy Treats, Red Hots Candy, chocolate covered pretzels and pickles (yummy and yummy)
- Kate Middleton - vegetarian curry (never ate that in my life)
- Jennifer Garner - cookies and cheese puffs (yummy).
- Tina Fey - Entenmann´s chocolate doughnuts (I love doughnuts)
- Jenna Fisher -mac and cheese and Lucky Charms (we do not eat mac and cheese a lot. Like once a year maybe. But yummy.)
- Jessica Alba - watermelon (yummy again - it seems like I just love every single kind of food in the world right now?!)
- Carrie Underwood - Pop Tarts (yummy again - maybe I should stop commenting..)
- Blake Lively - pickles and ice cream (it would be a very dull and common craving if it is wasn't a organic hand-churned pumpkin-flavoured ice cream and small-batch pickles.)
- Mila Kunis - sauerkraut (oh, I love that too - but I rather eat sauerkraut soup).
- Pink - Sour Skittles, Sour Patch Kids, anything sour (yummy).
I am curious - what are or were your cravings during your pregnancy? Did you crave something common or something weird? I would love to hear about it in comments bellow :)
Have a great day!